If you're needing to support, or would like others to support your Mikrotik set up remotely, as well as allowing access through any Firewall you might have over a connection, you would need to make the following changes in the Routerboard Winbox set up:
- On the Right hand menu Select IP - Firewall, and Filter Rules.
- Click the + to add a new rule.
- Change Chain to input.
- Change Protocol to tcp.
- Change Dst. Port to 8291.
- On the Action tab and make sure Action is set to accept.
- Create a name for this rule in Comment such as “winbox” (to easily identify this)
- Click OK.
NB: The RouterOS runs through the Filter Rules in order, so you need to drag and drop this new rule above the last “drop” rule for this to work.